EDventure, an annual two-day national summit, serves as a R&D lab to develop, advance, and collaborate on thought- provoking ideas and innovation in education. It is a forum to explore ideas, test concepts, take risks, and embrace new challenges to bolster collective efforts to improve schools. By invitation, we convene leaders, thinkers, and doers in the continuous improvement of our education system.
RECAP: Once again, working at the intersection of business and education, we hosted America Succeeds’ third annual EDventure! This convening is unlike any other, according to our attendees each year, and as described in one participant’s retrospective: Education Conferences Aren’t My Favorite But Here’s One Worth Going To.
We hold this unique summit in a unique city—Boise, Idaho—thanks to the generous support of The J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Family Foundation. We are always intentional about presenting a diverse set of speakers. We assemble the great thinkers and doers who are making a difference in education, addressing both the moral and economic imperative of improving America’s schools.
Check out the entire EDventure Photo Album.
What continues to make it such a great experience is the rich mix of participants. Our theme for EDventure 2016 was Breakthroughs, and the following presenters engaged our energetic attendees to really bring the topic to life.
- Session 1: School Reform At a Crossroads | Sharhonda Bossier, Deputy Director, EdLoC | The Honorable Mike Johnston, Colorado State Senator, District 33, America Succeeds Board Member
- Session 2: The Power of Play | Jill Vialet, CEO, Playworks
- Session 3: Pathways to Prosperity | Bill Symonds, Director, Global Pathways Institute | Randy Zook, President & CEO, Arkansas State Chamber of Commerce | Rich McKeon, Director, Career Readiness Initiative, CCSSO | Moderator: Luke Ragland, Vice President of Policy, Colorado Succeeds
- Session 4: What is Your Ace of Spades? | Eric Maddox, Expert Interrogator, Security Consultant, Motivational Speaker, Author
- Session 5: Rainbows After Storms | John Hope Bryant, CEO, Operation Hope
- Session 6: Improbable to Unstoppable | Fredi Lajvardi, STEM Educator and Subject of Underwater Dreams & Spare Parts
- Session 7: CEO Activism | Arthur F. (Skip) Oppenheimer, Chairman & CEO, Oppenheimer Companies, Inc. | Scott Laband, President, Colorado Succeeds | Moderator: Dale Chu, Deputy Director, America Succeeds
- Session 8: Getting ESSA Right | Liz King, Senior Policy Analyst and Director of Education Policy, The Leadership Conference | Mike Magee, CEO, Chiefs for Change | Carissa Miller, Deputy Executive Director, CCSSO | Moderator: Eric Lerum, Vice President of Strategy & Growth, America Succeeds
Check out a highlight reel from our signature event, the Ed Shark Tank: